Monday, October 5, 2009

Mary is having a baby!

My friend called me last night said she had to tell me something before i heard it in the A & P ...When you live in a small town everybody knows everybody's business...I swear to God there is nothing you can do in a small town without someone gossiping about it...There was this one time:



Starting in say 7th or 8th grade, i think, you were allowed to aquire a permission slip signed by a parent to go uptown during lunch time. I was headed uptown..... smoking a cigarette.... before i got past theVictory store on main street which has since then been a Great American Supermarket, and now i believe it's a church....isnt it weird people are praying where once as a child i threw up... It's very unsettling to me.....anyways....i was walking up main street and before i got to the Victory my mother received a phone call letting her know i was walking up main street smoking. My mother told the person who called her to mind her own business i had permission to smoke.....

Anyways any time Barb and I have something to tell each other we don't want someone else tell first we'll say, "I have to tell you something before you hear it in the A & P"....so I knew it was something serious...I mentally braced myself... "Ok...what's up"... there was a short pause... "Mary's having a baby" ....Those words just bounced there for a minute....."Our Mary is having a baby"... Barb knew exactly what was going on...she told me then to call her back when it sunk in...that was about 6ish last night...I called her 7ish tonight....It still hadn't sunk in but after Barb and I hung up it sunk in....Tears rolled down my cheeks and i thought back through the years to the very first time i saw her....

I have known Mary since before the night she went to bed with dad and woke up with mom....(reread and think about it...ha ha ha) I have watched her grow and everyday of her life become this amazing young woman....When Mary was a baby & Ben, my son, was just over a year old I spent alot of time with Barb and Alan...Alan, Mary's dad, i have known all my life....i cannot remember a time when I didnt know Alan...(That's small town life for you,....) Barb, Mary's mom, i met while pregnant for Ben. That makes twenty two years....so many thing running through my mind....



The day I met Mary I went to the house they brought her home to on 28....when that baby was given to me to hold from the moment i looked into her beautiful blue eyes i fell head over heels in love with her...she filled a spot in my heart that was waiting for her....All of her life i have known her....at times spending little time with her but always revisiting.... spending time...and getting reaquainted...

Now I sit here thinking it over.... I'm in shock....The tears have rolled down my cheeks more then once...I can't believe it....this amazing girl that i have known all her life is going to be a mom....In a sense even though not by blood I'm going to be a grandma....YEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

P.S.
Special note to Mary:

I am very excited and happy for you... I KNOW you are going to be a fabulous mom...with your parents you can't miss... If your baby learns to be half the person you are ...it can't miss at being a great person....I love you Mary and i look forward to being a part of your life as you move in to parenthood... ANYTIME you need a sitter call me!

PS.PS.
I hope it's twins....One of each!

3 comments:

  1. I can attest to that A&P thing!!! Jeannette it's so good to hear stories about M-vill3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jeanette!! I remember those Uptown Permission Slips..my mom would always know what I was up to..she worked on main street..I couldnt get away with anything..and I DIDN'T have permission to smoke!..lol

    Laura
    mybde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete